Student Spotlight: Jessica Torres ChE'19


Name: Jessica Torres

Major: Chemical Engineering

Graduation Date: 2019

What is your favorite part of engineering?
All the opportunities and career paths you can take with it!

What is your favorite class you have taken and why?
EAPS 106 because the professor was really good at keeping the class engaged and making it fun.

What is the best thing about Purdue?
The variety of things that there are to do at Purdue, both in academics and extracurriculars/ fun.

Tell us about a fun memory about your time at Purdue!
As a freshman a random student asked to interview me for a few minutes, and I ended up on the "Student Spotlight" in The Exponent (Purdue's newspaper)!

What sorts of things are you involved in on campus?
I am in MAES - Latinos in Science and Engineering, National Society of Black Engineers, and Delta Phi Mu Sorority, Inc. I also volunteer with the Minority Engineering Program.

What is the best advice you received before coming to Purdue?
College is what you make of it, go out of your comfort zone and get involved!

What is something you wish you had known when going through the college search process?
I wish I had known that there's more to a school than just their rankings

What is some advice you would give to incoming engineering students at Purdue?
Do all your homework and go to office hours!!!! Also engineering is tough, but don't give up :)

What is a fun fact about yourself?
I am bilingual and have visited Mexico twice a year almost my entire life! I also won my school spelling bee four years in a row in elementary/ middle school ;) 


Check back every Tuesday for more student spotlights!


Stay Connected With WIEP!
Twitter: @purduewiep 
Instagram: @purduewiep

Use the hashtag #PurdueWIEP on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter!


Post a Comment

0 Comments